Thursday, July 13, 2006

One Heart - CJ '97 Theme Song


I've been going through rafts of photos and newsletters from Guiding Mosaic '06, held in Guelph, Ontario - very near where I went to high school. It really, really makes me miss my Canadian Jamboree experiences. In 1997, in Thunder Bay, and 2001 in PEI, I was lucky enough to get to go to Canada's largest Scout Camp, first as a Scout, then as a Scouter. Now, Cricket's off gallivanting about Guelph doing what, as far as I can tell, is the Guiding equivalent.

I've noticed a few key differences, here and there, however. First of all, the girls at GM06 appear to be much more colour-coordinated then us lads ever were. They've got colour-coded hats by subcamp. We were lucky if our kids remembered there was a subcamp.
Second, GM06 has freaky mascots. Polar bears, apparently stricken with dance fever, surround the site, adding an eerie, carniverous touch to Guelph that's normally only filled by roaming U of G students. At CJs both 97 and 01, I recall a grand total of 0 mascots... except for that little racoon thing that's at every single one and haunts our dreams. Huh... maybe it is the same.
Thirdly, Girl Guides trades crests too! I can just see how this will lend itself to creating the utmost of awesome.

This has all encouraged me to get my ass to CJ 07 - in Quebec!! Now it's just time to find a troop to work with again. Man, I miss Scouting.

1 Comments:

At 12:36 p.m., Blogger Kristen said...

HAHAHAHA i liked your analysis of Kikano... and yes she was freaky.
you have yet to hear the song.
ahem.
ki-ki-ki-kano
ki-ki-ki-kano
you're the only b-b-b-bear that i adore
we've got/had some bear hugs, some fun and friendship
we will remember you forever more...
(or something to that effect)
creepy is right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home