Thursday, August 24, 2006

Batters Up - Nelly


Yes. I'm related. To the black guy.

Back to basics and baseball this summer, as for some inexplicable reason - aside from good hearts (and they'd know) - biology let me patrol centre field and first base for them in the Acadia Softball League. I know what you're thinking... softball is to baseball is what a banjo is to Santana... just not quite what you want.

However... it was the thrill of simply playing again that made up for so much of it! I mean... my legs were ripped to shreds on a regular basis, I got to meet a bunch of great people and, every now and then, we managed a rally that fell just short.

My biggest problems, oddly enough for an soft toss league, was at bat. I made a habit of popping out to the catcher. At one point it's like I was swinging a bloody cricket bat - I just couldn't make contact, I couldn't hit the pitch, and when I did, it was either a bloody little nubber or, my old stand-by, an infield pop-up. I would have felt worse about it... but Cody was even better at it then I was.

One of the best moments came when us outfielders began to slowly creep towards the infield because of a FAB (Female At-Bat). However, when we spotted the batter we reversed our trend and quickly. Nadia can just crush one, and even though she gave it more juice then Tropicana, I was there to catch her liner. Of course, a few got past us... but you never forget the ones you grab.

Best comeback was when we were playing, actually, Nadia's team and were down by, like, 5 or 6 heading into the final inning. Sure enough, we turned in on, and pumped in enough runs to...

Lose by one.

Whatever. Baseball was back, and once I got the ball into the field (instead of towards the effin' catcher) I was playing again and enjoying the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home