Wednesday, November 29, 2006

You Got to Me - Neil Diamond

Please note that my watch says it's about 1am. This is from a completely different day, but it sure works for this story. Now on with the broadcast...

Last intramural Frisbee game of the year. As a whole, our team didn’t do quite so hot. I burned the guy covering me for two majors – so I was pretty pleased, but overall… the score wasn’t just that fantastic. 13-7 or something like that. Whatever.

After the game, we decide to take an hour and celebrate our relatively successful season and many good times. So Carrie, D-Wayne, Donald, Curtis, Kat, Glen, Eva, Graham and myself head down to Paddy’s for a pint or two. A few Craven’s, a few stories, a discussion of the fact that you can actually play the game indoors and that we’re going to form a team…

I stand up and the world rotates by about 17 degrees to the left. I, having not eaten all day and being a reasonably cheap drunk at the best of times, have gone and accidentally tipsy-fied myself.

Normally, not a huge problem. I’ll go home, happily fall asleep by 9:30 and be ready to carry on the next day. However – I have another 2000 words to write on my paper for Grieve. It’s due in about 48 hours. I have just turned down a 24 hour extension from Grieve, a decision I’m now regretting.

Thus – I have to take two hours to try to plow through enough water and ketchup potato chips to sober me up enough to be able to make semi-intelligent and intelligible prose. A cold shower serves effectively in giving me a headache, but not in doing anything to shake me up and out.

I think right about then was when I sent out the email to Dr. Grieve stating that 3000 words was too few for me. I then went back to writing, apparently now clear-headed and happy, and managed to shoot my way up to almost 70% of the paper being written. Pretty good, with about 2 days left to write the thing in.

In bed by, oh, 2:00 or so.

This morning I wake up and check my e-mail. Dr. Grieve has responded. He graciously offered me another extension – this time one of a bonus 1000 words. I accepted. Seriously… I am in need of mental help.

Back to writing things that get graded…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home