Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Always Coca-Cola - TV Jingle


Here is why I think that marketing gurus of the world are failing. The push to create new opportunities to ensnare potential customers has had the corporations overlook what worked for them in the first place.

I draw your example to two seperate things.

First, the catchy jingle. I was told by a friend the other day that the era of the jingle is over. This confuses me to no end. Sure, a catchy and clever commercial may be become the latest viral video, but no one will walk around humming the hilarious catch-phrase - or in this case, kick to the bear's crotch.
For purposes of contrast, I point out the theme song for Coca-Cola from the early 1990s - "Always Coca-Cola". It's more than a decade since I first heard that, and I heard it as an 11 year old. That song has been responsible for my purchase of Toronto Blue Jays highlight videos (since a modified version is contained there-on) and a number of variations on the Coke theme song sitting on my compy. In fact, I could go for a delicious 'real thing' right now, couldn't you?

Other good exmaples include Home Hardware ("Home of the Handyman"), Tim Horton's ("Always got time for Tim Horton's") and so forth. Instead, now, I get nothing worthy of download and repeat.

Second part.

Why the hell do retailers feel it necessary to drive us to their useless websites in order to win a free 500mL bottle of pop?! Seriously!! What happened to the "look under the cap" days?! Now, instead of simply getting another Coke, and continuing to fuel my hummingbird-like addiction to sugary beverage, there are so many steps - collection of points, giving of a valid email, splitting of soul into 3 equal parts via Horcrux - that I simply can't be bothered.

As a child I used to buy the chips that had the little plastic-wrapped game card in it because there was a one in 13 billion chance I'd get another bag for FREE, but I'd get to unwrap a plastic advertisement in anticipation of the possibility!! Let's face it... kids are about as smart as a tea-kettle. Now? They have to be over 13, get their parents permission, and be subsequently bombarded with "Coke-Mail"- which, frankly, sounds to me like a custom order for some quality Nicaraguan.

So... if there's anyone out there working for Coke: a) bring back the jingle and b) send me little plastic ads that may contain 'free' product within. Please?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home